* The COVID-19 virus has unfortunately closed some venues and restaurants in every city. Please check hours and restrictions before you visit any place around Atlanta.
Head outside and enjoy nature. It’s a great time to appreciate family, friends and your furry, 4-legged family member. Let’s smell the flowers and learn to value life at a slower pace.
For outdoor fun take your dogs to the Silver Comet Trail. The Trail is within walking distance from The Greendream Rental! You can also use our bicycles to ride the Trail. This is an activity that is perfect for everyone. Appreciate warm weather, sun and nature.
There are many places to enjoy around Atlanta that are truly one of a kind. The Georgia Aquarium is the largest in the world ( I know some people don’t like seeing animals in captivity- my apologies to those people), but this aquarium is really magnificent, and your money goes toward care for the inhabitants. The Atlanta Zoo has Giant Pandas on loan from China. Thankfully, American zoos are trying to make their animal spaces and enclosures far more animal-friendly. This zoo borders Grant Park neighborhood, and has some very cool little restaurants.
The World of Coke has Coke tastings with flavors from around the world. I went there years ago, and found the taste of Coke from Asia nothing like the Coke that we drink in the U.S. This exhibit is fun and well-done, and located in The Underground Atlanta. Parking can be tricky, so consider taking Marta. You can find more information on the Marta web site. Just Google Atlanta Marta Train.
During the summer The Renaissance Fair South of Atlanta is an absolute blast and dog-friendly. The fair features authentic jousting ( see scheduled times), and local actors and volunteers in Elizabethan costumes. They sell a variety of foods including enormous Turkey legs and drinks including beer. The location is South of Atlanta, and expect traffic, but parking is plentiful. You park in a field, so all wheelchair-users be prepared.
In Midtown there’s the incredible Atlanta Botanical Gardens with over 30 acres of fabulous gardens, and seasonal delights that makes this a MUST SEE when in Atlanta. In the Winter they put out an incredible light show that’s been voted best in Atlanta by AJC readers. They have a restaurant called Longleaf as well as a Quik Cafe (sandwiches, drinks), and a S’Mores Bar for the kids. This place is worth visiting every time that you’re in the City because the displays keep changing. Next to the Gardens is Piedmont Park that is a great spot to bring your dog. It’s the venue for Music Midtown that brings International artists for a weekend of live music and crazy fun.
Here’s a short list of my favorite places to go:
- KENNESAW MOUNTAIN AND CIVIL WAR MUSEUM– Bring your dog! Kennesaw is about 20 minutes from Smyrna, and a relaxing drive to get there via the east-West Connector. It is part of the National Park Service, and one of the bloodiest battles during the Civil War was fought there. This is perfect for walking various trails, and a hike up the mountain is not strenuous. Pack a picnic because it is gorgeous around there.
- SILVER COMET TRAIL– Enjoy using our bikes (2 adult) for a log, relaxing ride. The trail is minutes away just over the East-West Connector Bridge! On Floyd Rd. you’ll find a bike rental shop. The map is for the entire trail ( you want Cobb County and Floyd Rd. for bikes, food, etc.)
- PIEDMONT PARK – Located in Midtown- Super place to take kids, dogs and play frisbee; right next to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. The entire area around Piedmont Park has lots of restaurants, and there’s ample parking.
- STONE MOUNTAIN – This Park is a terrific all-day adventure that even has a 1940’s train that takes you around the park. You can also climb the mountain. It is on the Eastern side of the city, so the drive is 45 minutes around I-285, but the town of Stone Mountain has ice cream shops, boutique stores,etc.
- SUNTRUST PARK– The BRAVES baseball stadium. Check out the games when you can bring your dog. My home is less than 15 minutes from Suntrust Park. Take Spring Rd. I’ll be happy to give directions, but it’s very easy to get there.
- The Battery Atlanta – Next to Suntrust: “From bowling to bull-riding, karaoke to concerts at the revived Coca-Cola Roxy, The Battery Atlanta™ is a 360-degree experience where you can do everything within steps of the field.” Yes, you can also shop.
- “TOP 20 PLACES TO TAKE KIDS“. I agree with the mixture of fun plus some educational and historical venues.
- Fernbank Museum has the WORLD’S LARGEST DINOSAURS!!! Learn and have fun! It’s great for kids and rainy days. The museum is not too big to manage in a single day, and the older homes surrounding the museum are magnificent!
- SMYRNA LOCAL NEWSLETTER: The “Patch” is the Smyrna Newsletter with a calendar of events. Just Smyrna.
IF IT RAINS...read books, play games, put together a puzzle, bake treats, pop popcorn and do arts and crafts. I have a big Dining room table. Enjoy all the streaming channels on my 2 TV’s.
Note: Since the onset of Covid-19, we have been following the disinfectant and cleaning guidelines from the CDC web site, and we block 24 hours between guests. We are not promoting any activity that would promote the spread of the virus.